Monday, June 20, 2011

Daylesford Craft Experience

I wanted one of my first posts to be about the Daylesford Craft Experience that I went to a few weeks ago, Sat 5th June.
Merrilyn from Thread Needle Craft in Daylesford organises the event. Last year three of us went along and this year there were six in our group.
We had a great time, as you do when a heap of crafties get together and had the opportunity to talk with the three designers who were there to present their new designs to us.
They were - Kristen Doran from Kristen Doran Designs, Melanie Hurlston from Melly and Me and Jodie Carleton from Ric rac.
I want to make special reference here to Jodie as until I read about her selvedge work in the 2009 Stitches and Craft Melbourne programme and subsequently visited her blog I had never looked at a blog before and probably never heard of blogging either, now of course I lurk around on blogs here there and every where!
So thank you to Jodie for her inspiring work that reached out to me and introduced me to sewing your selvedges together and blogging!
You can visit jodie's blog here
http://www.vintagericrac.blogspot.com/
The following are some of the projects that were presented to us at the craft experience.




The Craft Clock and Work in Progress Bag by Jodie Carleton


The Kokeshi Girl and Caravan Pillow by Kristen Doran

I would also like to mention here that Kristen posted a picture on her blog http://www.kristendorandesign.blogspot.com/ taken in Merrilyn's shop after "a hard day's work of crafting" that if you look closely I am standing in the background. I can tell you that I did feel a bit like a blog star when I saw this! (I have a green furry hat on.)


I have been working on one of the pattern designs from Melly and Me and that is this ellie cushion that uses a new technique (for me anyway) of needle turn. This is my first effort of needle turn and I have to be honest and say that I was really quite good at it - not singing my own song or anything! Not sure if I am going to rush around needle turning everything in sight but I may do this again as it was quite painless.



Looking good, I just have to put the back together and I am thinking of the way to do this and line it at the same time - with a button closure not a zip.

The other project I have finished is this stitchery from Kristen that I have turned into a Tape Measure Cover.


On the Friday en route to Daylesford we stopped to have a stitching night at The Elephant Patch in Creswick where Jo showed us how to cover a retractable tape measure so I used my new found skill to make another out of the stitchery from Kristen which was as you can see the perfect size - couldn't be better!

Fabulous weekend getaway looking forward to doing it again next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment