Sunday, May 27, 2012

Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition 2012



Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition 2012

Earlier this month I caught wind of a little competition going on and decided to take part.


I have purchased a 'Trimmings Pack' previously and enjoyed making the most out of all the little pieces I received, so I figured I was up for a challenge.

I selected a 'Cool' colour option...

This is what I received.




I photographed the pieces in different ways to see how they might go together.


And then I mixed them with other fabrics until I came up with combinations I was happy with.

And here are the finished items...



A bit closer...


There are 6 items in total

Back row L - R ... A little Glass Jar for special things, A vendor's Apron and a Fabric Bucket

Front row L - R ... A Fabric Envelope Clutch, A Visual Diary / Journal Cover and a Loyalty / Business Card Wallet.


The Vendors Apron


Displayed on a model which is a wee bit slimmer than I am...


But that's OK cause I made it adjustable...


I used three of the blue heart pieces from the trimmings pack for the front pocket.


I challenged myself and tried out something new ( for me ) - a zippered welt pocket.

I googled how to's and checked out the info here Ikat Bag and here Sew Mama Sew.


I am quite pleased with the result.


I have a space for a pen and my phone...
 and the loop on the left can be for...


 Scissors or...


 Keys.




The Fabric Envelope Clutch



I have made this the right size to pop a favorite pattern ( or two ) in...


And it has a little pocket too...




The Visual Diary / Journal Cover



The Elephant Fabric is such a wonderful statement piece.



Inside

I first learnt the technique I have used to construct this journal cover from a friend, Thanks Heather for showing me this, I have used it so many times and even tweaked it a bit to involve even less sewing! 



The Fabric Bucket



Scrappy raw edge applique on the front.


Handles on each side.


Red spotty fabric on the inside - I love spots.

and...


The Back, featuring a little piece of selvedge from the Elephant Fabric.

It says Australia and has the Umbrella Prints logo.



Loyalty / Business Card wallet



This is very Japanesey with the colours and the sashiko stitching.


Inside - nine roomy card pockets.


I have stitched the fabric name - Grand Hearts - from the selvedge of one of the pieces, onto the inside bottom right, I should say, that this fabric was just like the blue hearts pieces I used on the apron pocket only much larger.


Opened out.

These were the most challenging of all the pieces, but I am quite pleased with the end result. I like the organic look of the shapes and the red stitching.



Decorative Glass Jar



There are two Elephant Fabric selvedges sewn together with a plain linen selvedge piece along with a scrap of hessian, stitched onto stripey paper and wrapped around this decorative glass jar.
I have finished it off with a chipboard flower embellishment and a button.



And a bit of bakers twine around the lid.



I have created all the pieces using my own measurements and calculations to suit the 'Trimmings'.



From what I understand this is how the competition will work...
I submit my photographs to Umbrella Prints ( via my blog ) - who will pin them here Pinterest - Umbrella Prints Trimmings Competition 2012 on the 31st of May.

The public or I should say the Pinners get to view all the competition entries and the entrant with the most repins wins the people's choice prize,
there is also to be a special guest judge prize.

You have one week to 'repin' starting from the 1st of June.

Here is the link to view last years entries Trimmings 2011


Wish me luck!



2 comments:

  1. Once again I am enjoying your creativity! Beautiful work and I hope you win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous! Loved how you used the larger prints as abstract shapes on the business card holder :-)

    ReplyDelete