Thursday, January 10, 2013

Rags to Riches



I entered this competition Rags to Riches.
The criteria was to make an outfit from the mystery bag of clothing and model your outfit at the 'Opening Night'
This was a fundraiser for the Old Courthouse Gallery which is part of the National Trust.

Here I am modeling.

Here are the items in my mystery bag...
A piece of each item was to be evident in your outfit.

 This lovely medium dark blue 100% polyester Pelaco blouse...

 A lace type collar - again 100% polyester

 A vintage Target Rib Knit Cardigan with a slight Lame look to it ( probably the polyester at work again)

 This Image brand Tartan viscose oversize shirt / jacket

100% cotton 3 tiered skirt with a paisley print around the bottom and bells on the tie.

At first look the skirt was the most promising item, but in the end I found it difficult to use.

I quite liked the Cardigan but it had badly lost its elasticity and was stained in a few places so again it was difficult to use.

I drew up loads of designs and came up with a few quite different ideas but I really wanted to be able to wear this myself ( not only on the 'Night' but regularly ) and I am about 20 years past wearing hot pants, so I focused on the tartan piece knowing that I would wear a Tartan tunic.

I was surprised to find that I could in fact create a dress ( to fit me )  from the shirt.
I kept trying to add bits of the other items to it but it just didn't enhance it at all an I finally decided to leave it plain and accessorize with the other pieces.
 
 

So the end result was a Tartan Tunic Dress - from the Tartan shirt / jacket
I used a piece of stretch lace that I had in my stash to make a shift dress with sleeves and a neckline with a bow from the Pelaco shirt.
The Cardigan became fingerless gloves and boot cuffs.
I made a hair piece using the collar from the tartan shirt, the lace collar and a flower from the red skirt.
I also lined my wooden briefcase handbag with the red and crocheted around the handle.

I did not win a prize but I am pretty pleased with my effort and had fun doing it.


No comments:

Post a Comment